Friday 7 October 2011

The Three Chimneys, Skye

Our annual trip to Glenelg saw us make an impromptu lunch visit back to the Three Chimneys on Skye...its only a ferry ride and 40 mile drive so practically on the doorstep...hahaha!  No photos but I can say that, whilst still outstanding by many restaurants standards we weren't quite as 'wowed' this time around. 
Terrible weather and therefore driving conditions meant we arrived 10 mins late for which I immediately apologised, however I was a little taken aback to be told once seated that we were being given our menus straight away due to our 'late arrival'.

I started with a wonderful dish of ox tongue and blade of black isle beef with a simple salad, Gary had a trout mousse with smoked salmon and a beetroot salsa of sorts.  Both were fantastic.  My main of crown of grouse with their trademark tattie scones, bacon and a damson jus didn't quite hit the mark and I'm not exactly sure why.  The grouse, whilst cooked pink and seemingly perfect was tough and not easy to eat, although the flavour was there.  Garys shellfish platter was worth every penny of the £10 supplement, huge scallops, oysters, langoustines and smoked mussels and cute little winkles in a shot glass.  I sneaked an oyster whilst he wasn't looking...  I opted for the trademark marmalade steamed pudding with drambuie custard and Gary had an iced parfait with fennel brittle which he said lacked flavour but was perfectly nice, nice, nice, nice.

Overall, still a great experience and a lovely treat, worth the effort so if you havent been you should go!

1 comment:

  1. I'd absolutely love to go to The Three Chimneys some day. There's no way it could live up to my expectations though. :)

    ReplyDelete