Wednesday 12 October 2011

Soda bread recipe

soda bread doesnt last long in our flat...
I've slowly been going off commercial bread, even seemingly good quality stuff seems stodgy and unappetizing these days.  I briefly entertained the idea of trying to get a sourdough starter on the go and then 3 seconds later came to my senses, thats a committment I'm not quite ready to make.  Soda bread ticks all the boxes, its easy peasy, yeast free therefore quick to make and bake and is very tasty - the teenager now insists I make it every other day.  The best bit is that you can vary it to your own taste, here is my personal take on it:

200g plain flour
200g brown flour
100g porridge oats (you could just use 500g of flour if you like)
2tsp bicarb of soda
1tsp salt
1 tbsp runny honey (optional but nice!)
350 ml buttermilk ( live yoghurt with a splash of lemon juice is an alternative)

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl or pulse in a processor.  Make a well in the centre and mix in the honey  then the buttermilk. Bring the dough together (it shouldnt be too sticky) then turn out onto a floured surface.  Knead it but not for long, its really just about getting it a little smoother and into a ball shape.   Put it onto a baking tray, flatten it down a bit then score deeply with a cross shape.  Bake at gas 6 for around 40 mins.  The bread is ready when the bottom of the bread sounds hollow and empty when tapped with your hand.  Eat when its nice and warm.  I sometimes knock this up as soon as I get home from work so that its ready along with whatever is for dinner.

1 comment: