Thursday 29 September 2011

Christmas-a-comin...

No surprise that I decided to get on with this blog as the corner turned on summer (what little there was of it up here in Scotland) as I love autumn, summer may be all BBQs and al fresco dining but what use is that when you live on the 4th floor of an old Glasgow tenement?   No, give me soups, stews and hearty pies any day...

A very generous man I work with, lets call him Peter for that is his name, brought me a Lidl bag stuffed full of apples from the tree in his garden a fortnight ago.  Not a 3p Lidl bag either, an extra large 10p bag.  To date Ive turned those apples into 11 jars of chutney, 7 jars of savoury jellies, 9 jars of jam of various flavours and Ive still got some strained apple juice lying dormant in the freezer just waiting on a call up.  On top of that I was lucky enough to happen on some wild damsons on a trip up north last week, quick as a flash they were transformed into wild damson and cassis jam and quite spectacular it is too!

I make a lot of chutney, jams etc so Ive invested in a proper maslin pan, jam funnel, muslin jelly bag and proper thermometer.  I buy my jars online but sometimes I recycle old jars and just buy new lids (this is essential).  I will post the recipes for all of the above goodies in the next few days or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment